Recently I've been trying to get back in to running a bit more which means I need to fuel my body with the right stuff! I always have protein after my workouts to enable my muscles to recover as well as possible, but it's also important to replenish glycogen levels in the muscles to aid with recovery...which is where these little beauties come in! They are also very low in sugar, with only 0.4g per bar but still taste sweet thanks to those delicious dates!
Time: 20 Mins Makes: 6
- Preheat the oven to 160C (140C Fan).
- Place the dates, ginger and cinnamon in a sauce pan with the water and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Keep stirring for a couple of minutes and the mixture will start to become thicker and sticky.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool for a minute before using a hand blender to zap the mixture to make it smooth.
- Add the oats and almonds to the date mixture and stir well to make sure everything is well combined.
- Line a small baking tray with grease proof paper then press the mixture into the tray. Make sure it is very firmly pressed down.
- Bake for ten minutes in the oven, then remove from the oven and leave to cool before lifting out of the tray any cutting into 6 pieces.
- 200g Rolled oats
- 100g Chopped pitted dates
- 300ml Water
- 25g Almonds
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ginger