Mushroom and Corn Hash with a Poached Egg
On a weekend I love having the time to get creative with my breakfast; for me, this is bursting with so many wonderful flavours and textures it's hard to find fault, especially when it only takes 15 minutes to create. It would also make a great lunch if you're at home to make it.
Time: 15 Mins Serves: 1
- Place a pan of water on the hob and allow it to come to a gentle simmer, if your eggs are from the super market and aren't super fresh then add a splash of vinegar to the water.
- Heat the olive oil in a non stick pan over a medium heat, then finely chop the onion and garlic and add to the pan, stir regularly and allow the onion to begin to soften.
- Slice the mushrooms and drain the sweet corn, add to the pan with the onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper.
- Whilst the hash is cooking, you can poach the egg. Crack the egg into a ramekin then, using a spoon start to stir the water in the pan until you create a small 'whirlpool'. Gently drop the egg from the ramekin into the centre of the 'whirlpool' and cook for 1-2 minutes (depending on how runny you like your egg). You may want to lift the pan of water off the heat if it is bubbling quite hard, the egg will still cook off the heat.
- Keep stirring the hash and whilst the egg is cooking, toast your bread and slice the avocado.
- Stack the avocado and hash on the toast and when the egg is done, remove from the pan of water using a slotted spoon and place on the plate with the hash, toast and avocado.
- 1tsp Olive oil
- 70g Sweetcorn
- 6 Button mushrooms
- 1/2 Small red onion
- 1 Small clove of garlic
For the additional bits:
- 1 Fresh free range egg
- 1/2 Avocado (skin and stone removed)
- 1 Slice of sourdough or rye bread